Friday, February 26, 2010

My Three Bed Rotation Plan

 Okay so it's not perfect.  I've only got room for three beds to do a rotation so this is my plan.


BED 1 WHAT


Now Legum Bed peas/beans


2010 Autum Legum Bed peas/beans


Wint Brassica cab/broc/warrigal greens


Spring Brassica cab/broc/warrigal greens


Sum Root Crop carrots/parsnips/potatoe onions


2011 Autum Root Crop onions/beets/sweded


Wint Legume Bed peas/beans


Spring Legume Bed peas/beans


Sum Brassica cab/broc/warrigal greens


Brassica cab/broc/warrigal greens









BED 2WHAT
Nothing

Root Cropcarrots
Root Croponions/beets/sweded
Root Crop

Legume Bed

Legume Bed

Brassica

Brassica

Root Crop
Root Crop



BED 3
lettuce
lettuce
Legume Bed
Legume Bed
Brassica
Brassica
Root Crop
Root Crop




Essentially I have a bed with cabbage and peas/beans at the moment (BED 1).  Once the beans and peas are dont late winter I am guessing, I will take advantage of the nitrogen the beans and peas have pumped INTO the soil and plant more brassicas (cabbage and broc etc).  The beans and peas will then move to Bed 3 which at the moment is not really being used but for some lettuce at times.  Bed 2 is my root bed.  I have sown carrots, swedes, leaks and some garlic bulbs and they have already sprouted.  I'll also plant Onions in there in winter.  When the current Bed2 is harvested the peas and beans will move in and so the cycle goes.

I'll probably invest in an extra bed at some point but walk before run I say....

Bed 1 is looking pretty good.  Planted and sown late Jan I already have beans!




Bed 2 Was sown about 2 weeks ago and the root veges have sprouted already:

Bed 3 - well maybe another time :P

No comments:

Post a Comment